Every day we have 20 minutes of personal reading time. Students spend this time reading material of their own choosing (typically, a novel).
We then do an activity (either reading or writing focused) that they can apply to their personal reading.
Sometimes it's a CASI type question (ie: is it a good title? explain why or why not or what is the main idea/theme?).
And sometimes it's a CASI related question (ie: write the scene from an alternative point of view).
And sometimes it's writing related (ie: which writing trait is the author uses effectively or ineffectively? give an example).
One other area we are starting to explore within these narratives is the concept of Growth Mindset.
For example, we just completed our class read aloud: Running To Extremes.
In this biography Ray Zahab, a Canadian ultra-marathon runner, explains how he got into the sport, and also the many many challenges (mental and physical) he faced while racing in the Yukon, Sahara and the Amazon (and elsewhere).
There are numerous times when he wanted to give up...but didn't. Or made mistakes...which he then adapted to or changed for the better next time around.
The concept of Growth Mindset is all through out this book!
Of course, a narrative doesn't need to be about ultra marathon racing to illustrate the growth mindset.
Many narrative plots involve an obstacle that needs to be overcome...Characters often face challenges and conflicts that require a shift in perspective and self-understanding... This is true in novels (written narratives) and film (visual narratives). (And we will continue to study both).
Looking at main characters and plots through the lens of 'growth mindset' is a great way to connect personally to the concept.
We will continue to look at how Growth Mindset effects the characters in narratives and in that way, develop our own understanding of how this method of thinking might impact our own lives.
PS. For more about Canadian ultra-marathon runner Ray Zahab, click here
- DAILY PLANS
- FAN FILMS
- HEALTH: SEXUAL HEALTH
- Digital Narratives and Poplit Lyrics
- SLAM POETRY WITH MRS CZARNOTA
- ART RESEARCH & TASK
- DREAM VACATION: Financial Literacy & Oral Presenta...
- WEEKLY SCHEDULE & YEARLY CALENDAR
- CHANGE AGENT PROJECT RESULTS!
- CHANGE AGENT PROJECT OUTLINE!
- VISUAL ARTS RESOURCE PAGE
- Current Learning Focus/Goals
- ANIMAL FARM ANALYSIS: ESSAY WRITING
- ANIMAL FARM ANALYSIS: READING
- CHANGE AGENT ART ASSIGNMENT
- ART & HEALTH ASSIGNMENTS JAN/FEB
- Preparing For Highschool
- SHORT STORY ASSIGNMENT
- GEOGRAPHY ASSIGNMENT JANUARY
- DPA: Daily Physical Activities
- BLOOMS TAXONOMY
- GEOGRAPHY: Just Eat It
- INSTAGRAM PHOTOGRAPHY CHALLENGES
- STUDENT BLOGS
- Homework Policy
- 'Who is Mrs. J' game?
- Growth Mindset Page
- GEOGRAPHY #2: Migration, Population, Land Use
- GEOGRAPHY ASSIGNMENT #1
- Romeo & Juliet Essay Topics & Criteria
- ROMEO AND JULIET/SHAKESPEARE PAGE
- ORAL PRESENTATION: DREAM VACATION
- FAN FILMS part 3: HIGHSCHOOL LIVING/GIRL POWER (Gr...
- FAN FILM PART 1: SCI FI/FANTASY (groups 1-4)
- FAN FILMS part 2: THE OLDIES BUT GOODIES (Groups 5...
- FAN FILMS Part 4: COMEDIES (12-13)
- Photo-A-Day Project 2015-2016
- MATH DAY PLANS
- ESSAY WRITING PREPAREDNESS
- GEOGRAPHY: The Clean Bin Project
- tech buddies prezi videos
- HISTORY ASSIGNMENTS *Finished
- GEOGRAPHY: Mission Blue
- Tech Buddies Media Projects * Finished
- JANUARY HEALTH MATERIAL
- JANUARY HISTORY ASSIGNMENTS & QUIZ
- TECH BUDDIES
- Student Blogs/Media Maker Cycle Project
- ONLINE CLASS BOOK/PUBLISHED NARRATIVES
- INDIANA JONES ACTIVITIES
- Anti Bullying Page
- The Happy Page
- STUDENT SURVEYS
- Quote of the Month Page
- Mrs J's Math Resources Blog
- About Mrs. Johnson (Bio)
- Quote of the Day