- DAILY PLANS
- FAN FILMS
- HEALTH: SEXUAL HEALTH
- Digital Narratives and Poplit Lyrics
- SLAM POETRY WITH MRS CZARNOTA
- ART RESEARCH & TASK
- DREAM VACATION: Financial Literacy & Oral Presenta...
- WEEKLY SCHEDULE & YEARLY CALENDAR
- CHANGE AGENT PROJECT RESULTS!
- CHANGE AGENT PROJECT OUTLINE!
- VISUAL ARTS RESOURCE PAGE
- Current Learning Focus/Goals
- ANIMAL FARM ANALYSIS: ESSAY WRITING
- ANIMAL FARM ANALYSIS: READING
- CHANGE AGENT ART ASSIGNMENT
- ART & HEALTH ASSIGNMENTS JAN/FEB
- Preparing For Highschool
- SHORT STORY ASSIGNMENT
- GEOGRAPHY ASSIGNMENT JANUARY
- DPA: Daily Physical Activities
- BLOOMS TAXONOMY
- GEOGRAPHY: Just Eat It
- INSTAGRAM PHOTOGRAPHY CHALLENGES
- STUDENT BLOGS
- Homework Policy
- 'Who is Mrs. J' game?
- Growth Mindset Page
- GEOGRAPHY #2: Migration, Population, Land Use
- GEOGRAPHY ASSIGNMENT #1
- Romeo & Juliet Essay Topics & Criteria
- ROMEO AND JULIET/SHAKESPEARE PAGE
- ORAL PRESENTATION: DREAM VACATION
- FAN FILMS part 3: HIGHSCHOOL LIVING/GIRL POWER (Gr...
- FAN FILM PART 1: SCI FI/FANTASY (groups 1-4)
- FAN FILMS part 2: THE OLDIES BUT GOODIES (Groups 5...
- FAN FILMS Part 4: COMEDIES (12-13)
- Photo-A-Day Project 2015-2016
- MATH DAY PLANS
- ESSAY WRITING PREPAREDNESS
- GEOGRAPHY: The Clean Bin Project
- tech buddies prezi videos
- HISTORY ASSIGNMENTS *Finished
- GEOGRAPHY: Mission Blue
- Tech Buddies Media Projects * Finished
- JANUARY HEALTH MATERIAL
- JANUARY HISTORY ASSIGNMENTS & QUIZ
- TECH BUDDIES
- Student Blogs/Media Maker Cycle Project
- ONLINE CLASS BOOK/PUBLISHED NARRATIVES
- INDIANA JONES ACTIVITIES
- Anti Bullying Page
- The Happy Page
- STUDENT SURVEYS
- Quote of the Month Page
- Mrs J's Math Resources Blog
- About Mrs. Johnson (Bio)
- Quote of the Day
Sunday, 27 November 2016
Exploring 'Main Idea' in Art & Beyond
But we have broadened our study of 'main idea' to include different narrative forms: yes, it is in written narratives. It is also in media narratives (like short films) and musicals (like the Little Mermaid production we went to see).
It is also in Art.
So far in visual arts, we have examined (most) of the elements of design: line, shape/form, texture, value/colour, and (soon) shape.
We have looked at how different aspects of these elements convey different feelings, moods and ideas.
We have also started to look at how those elements communicate in a 'silent language'. They are used by artists to communicate a 'main idea'/theme.
We have just started this examination! We are examining artistic works to see how those elements are used to convey an overall message. This will eventually result in an art analysis paragraph.
We are also, as artists ourselves, exploring how we can use elements to convey an overall message.
In our geography curriculum, both Gr. 7 and 8 look at the preservation of natural resources and the issue of sustainability.
To practice creating a 'main idea' via artistic elements, I asked students to write their main idea on a stickee...and then try to match that main idea visually, in a drawing. Here are some of what the students created. (Take particular note of their choice/use of the art elements (especially line, shape/form, colour) to communicate their idea!)
In another instance, I invited The Simcoe County Greenbelt Coalition in to give a talk about water and how human activities/choices impact this natural resource.
I then asked students to convey the main idea, or gist, of the presentation in a composed photograph, using found objects in the classroom/school. This was indeed a bit of a challenge!
Again, the results were very interesting! Make sure you read what they posted, as that is the message they were trying to convey visually.
You can see how creating art in this context pushes students to the highest levels of Bloom's Taxonomy.
We will continue to explore this interesting intersection of creativity, visual communication, and theme/message/main idea, across additional curriculum... all of which aids us in our ability to not just creators of messages but also critical and aware 'decoders' of messages.